Being fit means your body is functioning properly, it feels good, and you can do all the things you want to do. They exercise regularly, eat healthy, and are maintaining a healthy weight.
When it comes to helping our kids be fit some of it falls in our laps.
Such as, preparing healthy meals, stocking the house with fresh foods, and encouraging/providing our children with the opportunities to do outdoor activities such as sports, bike riding, family walks.
- Eat a Variety of Different Foods: Shoot for at least three servings of vegetables and two fruits a day, different protein sources, and healthy fats.
- Drink Water: Water is the best for everyone. Teach your child to love water and by not offering alternatives at a young age you can shape their choices down the road. If your child is going to have juice, try to limit it to no more than 1 serving (6 ounces) of 100% juice a day. Avoid sugary drinks, like sodas, juice cocktails, and fruit punches. They contain a lot of added sugar. Sugar just adds calories, not important nutrients.
- Intuitive Eating: Kids have the ability to know when they are full and want to stop. Help your child notice how their body feels and when they feel full. Sometimes children eat to much because they don’t notice when they need to stop eating or they are forced to finish their plate. (see my previous blog on table bullying).
- Be Active: Let your children figure out what activities they like and want to participate in. Not all kids will like the sports you played growing up, so by allowing them to try different activities rather than force, they are more likely to stick to it and enjoy it. Sit down with your kid(s) and write a list of ways that you can be active together as a family.
- Limit Screen Time: Screen time is anything involving a screen: TV, video games, smart phone, computer, or tablet. The more time children are sitting in front of a screen the less time they are being active, engaging with others, and using their imagination. I like to limit screen time to 1-2hours a day for my kids.
Lets help shape the healthy way for our children this year and help them get them active and fit. #BeautyFitKids