Happy March Beauties!!! A very touchy subject these days are carb consumption. Whether you’re eating them, avoiding them like the plague, or allowing a little moderation in your life, I think we can all agree we love carbs!!! However, if you eat all the carbs, all the time, it can add up to a little much.
Here are a few alternatives to add to meals, or swap carbs out completely, to give you all the feels with half the calories of your average starchy staple.
You can spiralize pretty much any veggie these days. Don’t own a spiralizer? (Ummm why not? They are like $9.99 at bed bath and beyond 😉) that’s ok! Most veggies can be purchased pre-spiralized in the fresh veggie or frozen veggie section.
My favorite vegetables for Spiralizing:
- Zucchini: My only personal issue here is that zucchini contains a lot of water. I like to cook it, then drain it because watery pasta is not for me.
- Carrots: The best way, in my opinion, is to buy this one pre-spiralized. Carrots can be a little tougher and take more time.
- Palmini: This one I just discovered myself! It is from the heart of palms plant and comes in a can ready to go for you! Drain, rinse and then eat hot or cold!
- Cucumber: To me, these are best as a cold salad. A little balsamic vinegar and lemon juice... YUM!
- Spaghetti Squash: Fun tip I just learned; try cooking it in the slow cooker. You don’t have to wait for your husband to cut that big boy in half, or spend hrs. struggling to make your way through the whole thing! Just throw it in the slow cooker for about and hr. and shred!
Try cutting these veggies vertically, or as I call it length wise, and use instead of lasagna pasta. Zucchini, eggplant, very thin sliced sweet potato.
- Cauliflower: Cook cauliflower pieces in the microwave with a little water until softer (about 10 min). Then you can chop it up with a fork and vola!!! Need simpler? Just buy already done for you! this vegetable pretty much takes on the flavor of whatever you put with it. Make a stir fry, toss with chicken, you can even add it into your oats for more volume!
- Broccoli Rice: you can usually find this in the fresh veggie section, already bagged and ready to use!!!
- Chicken: Pound chicken really flat and cook for 10 min at 425 degrees. Add toppings and a true protein pizza is served!!
- Cauliflower: If you haven’t noticed, cauliflower can be used for pretty much every meal!!! You can find these pre-made in the freezer section at your grocers, or order online!
- Egg White: Pour ½ egg whites (or 3-4 egg whites) into a skillet pan and let cook till bubbles form; flip and cook till crispy.
Take a pickle, carrot, or celery and wrap some low sodium deli met around it. Make a hoagie with cucumber instead of hoagie roll.
Essentially, carbohydrates and NOT the enemy; your body needs them and loves them! Take these simple carb swaps and add them to a meal to add more volume, nutrition, and bring down overall calories.
Make sure you always fuel your body properly, whatever that means for you, and stay beautiful loves!!!