I've always LOVED carrot cake, I mean what could be wrong with spiced cake and a bright veggie? However, as a diabetic and health fanatic it was too full of sugar for me to indulge in most times. So, I worked on remaking this classic into a healthy protein packed one! This muffin recipe is a grown up version of carrot cake. Don’t worry, the kids will love them too! What a great grab and go breakfast paired with a few almonds or a TB of nut butter. How about an after school snack?
- 1/2 cup Egg whites
- 1/4 cup Unsweetened Almond Milk
- 1/2 cup Pureed Carrots (tip: Use stage 1 carrot baby food , it’s the easiest)
- 1 tbsp Almond OR Butter Extract
- 1 cup Grated Carrots (ensure they are finely grated)
- 1/2 cup Protein Powder BeautyWhey or BeautyVegan (Vanilla or Cinnamon work best)
- 1 cup Old fashioned oats (use gluten free if sensitive)
- 2 tsp Baking powder
- 1 tsp Baking soda
- 1/2 tsp Pumpkin pie spice (or sub 1/4 tsp each nutmeg, allspice)
- 1 tbsp Cinnamon
- 1/4 cup Stevia (optional)
- Spray muffin pan with non-stick spray. If you use liner cups spray them lightly with spray to keep from sticking.
- Combine all of the ingredients except your grated carrots together in a blender and mix WELL.
- Stir in the carrots and pour into muffin tins.
- Bake for approximately 22-24 minutes and lightly browned on top. You don’t want to overcook them.
- Allow to cool completely before storing to ensure 100% set and ready.
Nutritional Info per muffin
- Calories: 61
- Fat: 1.5 grams
- Carbs: 6 grams
- Protein: 7 grams
Food, Fitness and Family for the total YOU!